Monday, May 5, 2008

Title: The Purple Emperor

Author: Herbie Brennan

Genre: Fantasy

Blurb: When Prygus Malvae's father arrives at the Purple Palace his appearance causes more than a little shock. After all, he was supposed to be dead. Add to that the fact that the recently deceased Purple Emperor is now an ally of the Faeries of the Night and it is clear that all is not what it should be in the Faerie Realm. Madness is unleashed. Faeries of the Night are in charge, an insane woman is now Queen, the old order is seriously under threat, and Prygus and Holly Blue have to get to the bottom of all this chaos. When Henry arrives from the human realm to help, little can he imagine the diabolical world he is about to enter, nor that he will have to do so much to try and put everything right.

Opinion: The Purple Emperor is the second book in this series (not sure if there is a third) and the first is Faerie Wars. Faerie Wars really caught my attention when I first read it, but when I finally got my hands on the second volume, I could only say it didn't quite live up to the reputation of the first book. I'm not even sure myself what was missing from the second book. Maybe it was just me being out of focus because I had manga coming in all the time demanding for my attention and I kept putting off The Purple Emperor. But then again, if the plot was all that exciting, do you think I would have left it behind to read manga first?

...Or am I just too obsessed with manga?

But overall, I think it's not too bad a read. At least it didn't make me doze off. I'd recommend getting both books at one go and reading them together so the first volume stays fresh in your mind. I got The Purple Emperor quite a long time after I'd read the first, and although I'm quite sure I'd remembered everything from the first book, it might still be better to read both books in one sitting. Have fun reading! ~rage-chan

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

No comments: